Would you be surprised to know that 82 percent of the Global Fortune 100 companies have at least one Twitter account? And on top of that, each company is mentioned 55,970 times in one month on Twitter. According to a Burson-Marsteller study, these are the top ten global companies with the most online mentions:
This is the third annual study of its kind showing how Global Fortune 100 companies use social media. Here are five astounding findings from the study:
1. The Fortune Global 100 were mentioned a total of 10,400,132 times online in one month.
2. There was a 39 percent increase in the percentage of companies with a branded YouTube channel in the last year.
3. Seventy-nine percent of corporate accounts on Twitter attempt to engage with other users by retweeting and using mentions.
4. Multiple accounts on social media platforms allow companies to target audiences by geography, topic or service.
5. Google+ pages for businesses were launched in November. By February 2012, 48 percent of Fortune Global 100 companies already had a presence on the platform. Also, 25 percent of Fortune Global 100 companies have a Pinterest account.